With just two weeks left until Spring Training 2017 officially opens, anticipation is starting to build for both teams and their fans. Fans living in the Tampa Bay area have many options when it comes to attending a game, seeing as we are located right in the heart of Grapefruit League play.
Although games aren’t scheduled to begin until the end of February, fans still have an opportunity to catch some of the game’s biggest stars on the field at practice. Below is a list of the teams and their ballpark locations along with the day they open camp and a link to the site to purchase tickets.
Reminder: All stadiums have rules and regulations in place to keep everyone in attendance safe. No coolers or outside containers are allowed in the ballparks and the 16 x 16 x 8 bag regulation is also in effect at all stadiums in the Grapefruit League.
- The New York Yankees have called Tampa and George M. Steinbrenner Field their Spring home since the 90s and this season fans will get a completely revamped and upgraded experience. After a $40 million renovation this past offseason Steinbrenner Field now offers a one-of-a-kind fan experience to make watching a game even more enjoyable, especially the new cup holders!
- George M. Steinbrenner Field is located at 1 Steinbrenner Field, just off Dale Mabry Highway and across the street from Raymond James Stadium, home of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
- The Yankees will officially open camp on Tuesday, February 14 first with pitchers and catchers, full squad workouts will then begin on February 18. To purchase tickets to an upcoming Yankees’ Game at Steinbrenner Field, click here.
- Since 2004, fans have made their way to Bright House Field in Clearwater to watch the Philadelphia Phillies. Considered one of the gems in the Grapefruit League, Spectrum Field (formerly known as Bright House Field) offers fans a 360-Degree view no matter where they are in the stadium.
- Spectrum Field is located at 601 North Old Coachman Road,Clearwater.
- The Phillies open camp on February 14 and full squad workouts will take place on February 17;to purchase tickets to a Spring Training Game click here.
- The Toronto Blue Jays will be back at Florida Auto Exchange Stadium in Dunedin this spring. Although one of the older stadiums in the Grapefruit League, Florida Auto Exchange Stadium brings amenities such as luxury suites and an indoor Craft Beer Lounge with a capacity of just over 5,500 seats.
- Florida Auto Exchange Stadium is located at 373 Douglas Avenue, Dunedin Florida.
- The Blue Jays pitchers and catchers will report on February 15 and full squad workouts will begin on February 18. To purchase tickets for Blue Jays’ Spring Training Games, click here.
- When fans arrive at Joker Merchant Stadium this spring they will get a newly renovated and enhanced ballpark experience. The new Publix Field will host Detroit Tigers spring training games and fans will notice that the old bleacher style seating has been replaced by newly installed stadium seats and even more shade from the hot Florida sun. The suites are new and improved and the Tigers’ workout facilities have all been completely enhanced, giving the club the second largest workout facility in baseball.
- Joker Merchant Stadium is located at 2301 Lakeland Hills Boulevard, Lakeland, Florida.
- Tigers’ camp will open on February 13 with catchers and pitchers reporting first and full squad workouts following on February 18. The first Spring Training game will take place on February 23, to purchase Detroit Tigers games, click here.
- The Pittsburgh Pirates have called McKechnie Field in Bradenton home since the 1960’s and is the oldest Spring Training stadium in baseball; with this being the 48th season played at the stadium. With recent renovations done in 2013, McKechnie Field is now an even better location for Pirates’ fans from all around to catch their favorite players gearing up for the season.
- McKechnie Field is located at 1611 9th Street West, Bradenton, Florida.
- The Pirates’ pitchers and catchers will report to Spring Training on February 14 and full squad workouts will begin on February 17.To purchase tickets to Pirates’ Spring Training Games, click here.
- For the seventh year, the Baltimore Orioles will travel to Ed Smith Stadium in Sarasota for Spring Training. The stadium features many spacious and air-conditioned suites making for great ballpark views. There are also several concessions to choose from to pick up a great snack to enjoy while watching the game.
- Ed Smith Stadium is located at 2700 12th Street, Sarasota.
- Baltimore Orioles’ pitchers and catchers will report to camp on February 13 and full squad workouts taking place on February 17. To purchase tickets to a Baltimore Orioles’ Spring Training Game, click here.
The following teams are also a part of the Grapefruit League but aren’t a part of the Tampa Bay region:
- Fort Myers:
- Minnesota Twins (Hammond Stadium)
- Boston Red Sox (JetBlue Park)
- Tampa Bay Rays (Charlotte Sports Park)
- Jupiter: (Both play at Roger Dean Stadium)
- Miami Marlins
- St. Louis Cardinals
- Atlanta Braves (Champion Stadium)
- In the Spring of 2019 the Braves will move to Northport.
- Atlanta Braves (Champion Stadium)
- Port St. Lucie:
- New York Mets (Tradition Field)
- West Palm Beach:
- Houston Astros
- Washington Nationals
- Both the Nats and Astros are moving from the Space Coast to the newly built Ballpark of the Palm Beaches)